Monday, November 19, 2007

A Tiny Little Photography Tip


Horses are best photographed with a telephoto lens of at least 100mm and preferably more. My most favorite lenses are my 70-200mm f2.8 and my 300mm f2.8.
To avoid distortion, stand back from the horse and take the time to really look at what you are seeing through the lens before you press that shutter.
A lot of people that are not used to photographing horses tend to get too close with too short a lens and then you get that "wonderful" big head, little body thing going on. Sometimes that is fun and after years of shooting "correctly" I have to admit that I get awfully amused at the results when I point my 16-35mm f2.8 wide angle lens at a horse. Lots of distortion and fun, but not so good for showing off what a nicely conformed and PROPORTIONATE horse you have!
So stand back, use a telephoto lens, take the time to find an attractive angle (with as little clutter in the background as possible) and have fun shooting.

No comments: