Tuesday, July 15, 2008

American Cream Draft Horses



I love them! I was in Bend this past weekend photographing a herd of American Cream Draft horses at Cream Acres Ranch owned by Carol and Dave Pshigoda a couple who is totally dedicated to preserving and enjoying this breed. They work their horses on their ranch, planting and harvesting their own hay.
Creams are the only breed of draft horse having actually originated in the US. The breed was all but extinct when back in the 80's a few key breeders started working to preserve their unique genes. I found them quite attractive and nicely conformed. strong, but not too big, not overly stout, ranging from 15.2h to 16.3, With their pleasing conformation, I could envision riding them as well as hitching them up to a wagon or plow. The Pshigoda's own the only 6 horse hitch in the world and have been invited to the WEG in Kentucky in 2010. Of course this is going to be a very costly endeavor that will more than likely require a generous sponsor to step forward to help make it happen. I'll be writing more on this breed as I process my images and get some pressing jobs finished.
pictured is Barney's Beautiful Beau. One of the bigger guys. He is a wheel horse in the hitch. Quite attractive!

No comments: