Friday, August 29, 2008

My Lenses







Quite often people ask me what lenses I have, so I thought I would post a bit about my little collection..which I hope is finished with being collected. If I don't have enough to make nice pictures yet, I better just hang it up!
I think I have a nice serviceable collection of lenses in my stronghold. All Canon lenses, I tend to believe in keeping proprietary lenses with my camera bodies for the best quality and least problems.
My workhorse for shooting horses is the 70-200mm f2.8. Last year I added the 300mm f2.8 "the fatty" makes very nice sharp images once you get used to the no zoom factor. Very nice for horse portraiture and getting up close to a horse and rider from a great distance. A great candid lens as I am often so far away, people have no idea I am pointing my lens in their direction. It also seems to be quite the conversation piece with perfect strangers.
I also have a 200mm f1.8 super super sharp lens nicknamed "the chubby" and the best lens that I have for indoor use.
I haven't had it long enough to get to know it for anything else yet. But it certainly saves the day in low light. Also in the bottom of my bag are 85mm f1.8 nice little portrait lens. 24-105 f4 nice enough lens and versatile for tourist snapshots these days. Certainly more weight friendly than the others if I am not photographing horses. But I have to say that my all time favorite lens is my 16-35mm f2.8 wide angle. It is the most fun for me. Maybe because I have spent so many years making sure that the horses I photograph are with as little lens distortion as possible and this lens lets me get "out of the box" a bit and have some fun with distortion. Its also a great landscape and architectural lens.

After being chained to our computers for several days processing the AIM show proofs, Sharon Fibelkorn and I ran off to downtown Seattle for a day recently and I was able to play a bit. These images were all taken with the 16-35. Just quickly run through Lightroom for now. The top image I took in Florida at the Palm Beach Dressage Classic. I used this image in an ad. I got to distort a horse through the lens! I feel so naughty. *grin*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I actually dreamed last night that I invented a camera that would accommodate both Cannon and Nikon lenses. It was some sort of revelation, at least in that dream world. ;)