Wednesday, August 21, 2013

This Old Lens

This old lens has served me well. When I made the decision to come back to photography in 2003, after a few years of what I termed "permanent retirement" aka burnout.  I bought this lens. Canon 70-200 2.8 USM L series.

I'm pretty sure I used the money I received from selling my lovely homebred  Hanoverian mare.  Along with that purchase was a Canon 1D camera body, that some years back made its way to a new owner in Australia as I upgraded my technology with a newer camera body. Actually several camera bodies since then. 
 At the time, this lens was the most expensive and best quality lens I had ever purchased. It is still a top quality lens and the choice of most Canon owning sports shooters.
  It has traveled far and wide helping me to capture images in Holland, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Canada and all over the US.  It has covered three FEI World Cups, one Aachen CHIO, two Dressage at Devons, two Palm Beach Dressage Derbies, several trips out to a variety of wild horse herds and countless dressage, breed shows, inspections and private photo sessions on a variety of farms.
 So as I handed it off to its new owner today, (freshly back from its reconditioning at Canon Factory Repair Services)  it was not without a small bit of a twinge of "am I sure?" but being a bit of a photographic equipment pack rat I knew it was the right thing to do.  I hope that some good karma is also passed along with it.

Keep keepin on old trusty, in the hands of another visual artist with new travels and adventures to capture via images.    Me, I have the next generation of Canon 70-200 f2.8 workhorse lens and already it has gathered some great travels under its "focusing ring".

Now to get serious about re-homing some of these camera bags I seem to have collected....

No comments: